Day 1 Depart UK
- On arrival at Lusaka we transfer to a light aircraft that takes us to Mfuwe, gateway to South Luangwa National Park. Our guide will meet us at Mfuwe airstrip for the transfer to a delightful lodge situated on the bank of the Luangwa River, with a prime view of wildlife-rich Luangwa Wafwa. Following afternoon tea, there should be time for a late afternoon game drive that merges seamlessly into a night
- Accomodation: Luangwa River Camp, 6-nights on full board basis.
- Over the five six days we explore South Luangwa’s best birding spots in the company of our friendly and knowledgeable local naturalist guide Kangachepe Banda, known as Kanga, in search of migratory species as they arrive in the region.
- Being the start of the so-called green season, this is also the prime time to see new-born mammals. We head out twice a day either by four-wheel-drive vehicle or on foot to explore the national park and seek out all forms of life. As you might expect of a fertile valley, the Luangwa’s rich birdlife includes species from both dry-country and water-based habitats. Of the 400 or so species that have been recorded here, many that are typical of Southern Africa, while others are more commonly associated with East Africa – as a result of Zambia’s position between the two.
- Activities at this time of year might include sitting at a waterhole watching waders and water fowl. Safaris are conducted both in open four-wheel-drive vehicles or on foot (depending on the weather), accompanied by an armed scout and your fully-qualified safari guide. On night drives – which are a particular highlight of this trip – powerful spotlights are used to illuminate nocturnal species.
- This morning we transfer back to Mfuwe airstrip and board a domestic flight to Lusaka to connect with our international flights to London.
Day 9 Arrive UK
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- Guided activities
We stay in a single location: a lovely, small and intimate camp with only five ‘bush-suites, each of which has an en suite bathroom with double basins and a sunken bathtub, for our exclusive use. The camp is ideally situated in the heart of the birding area, which allows us to get out early each morning for birdwatching at dawn.
All meals and drinks are included.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Lusaka – London, and domestic light aicraft between Lusaka and South Luangwa.
The baggage allowance on Proflight domestic flights is strictly limited to 15 kg of checked luggage and 5 kg of hand baggage.
We use open four-wheel drive vehicles.
Walking is gentle, on flat terrain, and follows animal trails through the bush.
About 400 species have been observed in the Luangwa, including many that are typical of Southern Africa, plus a few that are more commonly associated with East Africa – a result of Zambia’s location between the two.
- Carmine bee eater
- Yellow-billed stork
- Racket-tailed roller
- Cuckoo shrike