- Make your own way to The Mill at Conder Green, just south of Lancaster (rail travellers can be met at Lancaster station between 1600 and 1700).
- This evening Barrie will give a presentation of the local area.
- Accommodation: The Mill at Conder Green, 3-nights on full board basis
- During our two full spring days in Lancashire we will visit a variety of nature reserves where wetlands come alive with the sound of birdsong.
- Visits will include Leighton Moss RSPB Reserve which has previously been used as the base for BBC’s Autumnwatch series, to view a variety of waders and wildfowl. Weather-permitting, a morning visit to the Forest of Bowland will be made to in the hope of seeing birds such as ring ouzel, dipper, stonechat and, with a bit of luck, raptors such as peregrine or merlinview osprey passing through on their way to their breeding grounds. We also plan to visit Foulshaw Moss, an internationally rare lowland raised peatbog where ospreys breed along with tree pipits and redpoll.
- We will also visit areas around Morecambe Bay, a feeding ground to more than a quarter of a million wading birds, duck and geese.
- Our final morning will be used to spend more time exploring the estuaries around Morecambe Bay before the tour concludes after lunch.
- For travellers departing from Lancaster railway station, a drop off at the station will be made at 14.30.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
The Mill at Conder Green is a modern inn style property located on the towpath of the Lancaster Canal’s Glasson Branch. Situated south of the town of Lancaster, and a short drive from the M6, the property is ideally located for easy access to many of the county’s nature reserves. All rooms are en suite.
All meals are included.
Breakfasts and dinners are taken at the hotel, with picnic lunches provided by the hotel.
Spring sees the migration of thousands of waders through the Morecambe Bay area. Warblers arrive to set up their territories, and hedgerows and reedbeds are alive with their songs.
- Peregrine falcon
- Marsh harrier
- Cetti’s warbler
Our days will be filled with a mix of coastal scenery, with visits to Morecambe Bay and the coastal lagoon reserve of Leighton Moss, along with inland visits including the stunning forest of Bowland and Foulshaw Moss with its lowland raised peatbog.
Ground transportation will be by minibus, driven by your tour leader.
Your tour leader can meet you at Lancaster railway station between 1600-1700, from where we drive to our accommodation. Alternatively you can drive directly to Lancaster to meet the leader at the hotel.