- Fly from London to Ljubljana and continue by road to our accommodation in Podgorje. Depending on our arrival time we may have an opportunity to visit some mid-altitude woodlands, which are home to many forest butterflies,
- Accommodation: Podgorje, 3-nights on full board basis.
- We explore sub-Mediterranean habitats around Podgorje with dry grasslands, pubescent oak and manna ash woodlands on limestone. Many lycaenids are common here, including adonis blue and chalk-hill blue, but rarer satyrids like false grayling are also present. In the afternoon we drive to Slavnik, a limestone mountain with stunning views over Koper Bay, where great sooty satyr live on the mountain’s rocky southern face.
- We visit Mount Nanos, a lone standing hill with an extremely rich butterfly fauna including the alcon blue and the elusive and rare Styrian ringlet. In the afternoon we drive down to the Adriatic Sea.
- After driving north, we dedicate the rest of the day and the following day to exploring sub-alpine and alpine habitats to see their butterflies. 16 species of ringlet occur in Slovenia`s higher mountains and there is a good chance of seeing quite a few of them on the alpine meadows and rocky slopes.
- Accommodation: Mangartom, 2-nights on full board basis.
- Today we leave the alpine region behind and, after a few hours drive, arrive in Goričko Landscape Park, which together with Őrség National Park in Western Hungary is home of the four large blues.
- Accommodation: Őrség National Park, 2-nights on full board basis.
- Depending on the time of our flight, before heading back to Ljubljana, we may have a chance to see the elusive and much sought-after Freyer’s purple emperor in the riparian woodlands of the River Mura on the Slovenian-Hungarian border, but the chance of a sighting depends pretty much on the season. Later transfer to Ljubljana airport for the return flight to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
We stay in medium-grade hotels and guest houses, all with rooms en suite.
All main meals are included.
Butterflies and moths
Our tour takes us through a forest and meadows rich in species rarely seen in other countries, especially the mountain ringlets and maculinea, especially the scarce large blue and dusky large blue.
- Purple emperor
- Poplar admiral
- Mediterranean long-tailed blue
- Styrian ringlet
In the Orseg National Park, we participate in a special fundraising moth trapping evening.
Our itinerary takes us from the majestic Julian Alps, where we visit the beautiful glacial lake of Bohinj, through limestone mountains and alpine meadows, down to the Mediterranean coast.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Ljubljana – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.