- Meet your tour leader at Inverness airport or railway station and then we will drive the short distance to Grantown-on-Spey.
- In the afternoon we will take our first stroll in the woodlands in search of crested tits and red squirrel.
- Accommodation: Grantown-on-Spey, 7-nights on full board basis
- We explore the nearby Loch Garten and Abernethy Forest RSPB Reserve, where we will search for specialties including common and Scottish crossbills, crested tits, capercaille, black grouse, red squirrels and red deer.
- We also make a visit to Strathdearn to find brown and mountain hares, feral goats, golden eagles, peregrine, dipper and plenty of red deer. With the stunning Cairngorm Mountains as a backdrop, it would be a shame not to venture up on to the lower slopes to see if any snow buntings have arrived on their winter quarters.
- In contrast, we will visit coastal areas such as Findhorn Bay for geese and waders moving south, and Burghead for wildfowl.
- Another day is spent a little further north at Udale Bay RSPB reserve where we should see skeins of pink-footed geese etching lines across the sky or dropping down on to the mud flats to rest
- There may also be time to visit the Black Isle to look for red kites and visit Chanonry Point for a chance to see common bottlenose dolphins and seals.
Day 8 Transfer to Inverness airport or railway station
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- Transfers from/to Inverness
- All meals
- Guided activities
- Note: Second leader is subject to minimum numbers
Our base for the week will be at the excellent and welcoming Grant Arms Hotel in Grantown-on-Spey. All rooms are en-suite.
All meals are included.
We explore the nearby Loch Garten and Abernethy Forest RSPB Reserve, where we will search for local specialities.
- Scottish crossbill
- White-tailed eagle
- Rock ptarmigan
we will visit coastal areas such as Findhorn Bay and Burghead for geese, waders and wildfowl.
We plan to visit a variety of locations and habitats to enable us to see the widest variety of wildlife possible
- Brown hare
- Red deer
- Red squirrel
Your tour leader(s) can meet you at Inverness Railway Station or Inverness Airport, from where we drive to our accommodation at Grantown-on-Spey.
Alternatively you can drive directly to Grantown to meet the leaders at the hotel.