Day 1 Depart UK
- Arrive Buenos Aires this morning at the airport and transfer to our hotel. There should be time for a birdwatching visit to the Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve.
- Accommodation: Buenos Aires, 1-night including dinner and breakfast.
- Today we fly to Trelew, and travel onto Punta Delgada at the tip of the Valdes Peninsula, looking for Burrowing Parrots and other local specialities en route. Our base for the next three nights is a converted lighthouse in a superb setting, with its elephant seals and southern sea lions on the beach below.
- A boat trip (lasting about two hours) out into one of the bays will give us the chance to get close to the Southern right whales for which the area is famous.
- Accommodation: Punta Delgada, Valdes Peninsula, 3-nights on full board basis.
- We drive back to Trelew, and a last chance of seeing southern right whales, before catching a flight to Calafate.
- We have two days to explore the spectacular National Park of Los Glaciares. Above the southern beech forests rise jagged peaks interspersed with awe-inspiring glaciers and on one day we will take a boat trip right up to two of these to enjoy some of the world’s most stunning mountain landscapes.
- There will also be a full day trip to the UNESCO site of Perito Moreno Glacier.
- Accommodation: Calafate, 3-nights on full board basis.
Accommodation: Buenos Aires, 1-night on full board basis.
Day 10 Morning free in Buenos Aires, depart for the UK
Day 11 Arrive UK
- A morning flight will take us north east, to the Brazilian border. We are heading for the renowned Iguazú Falls, perhaps the most exciting in the world. The falls are surrounded by humid subtropical forest, a habitat more common in adjacent Brazil and offering some superb tropical birdwatching.
- Accommodation: Iguazú Falls, 3-nights on full board basis.
Day 13 Fly back to Buenos Aires, depart for the UK
Day 14 Arrive UK
We stay in hotels and lodges with all rooms en suite.
On the Valdes Peninsula, we spend three nights in a converted lighthouse, with elephant seals and southern sea lions on the beach below.
Accommodation in the Iguazú Falls extension is at a hotel on the Argentinean side of the falls, close to the falls and the reserve, with excellent birdwatching in the hotel grounds.
All main meals are included.
We will see a diverse range of birds, from Magellanic penguins in the wilds to Andean condors coasting over glaciers. From the Costanera Sur reserve, which teems with waterfowl, to dry-steppe inhabitants of Valdes peninsula to the local specialities of the Perito Moreno Glacier. Taking into account the bird-rich Iguazu Falls, this must be one of our more varied tours.
- Burrowing parrot
- Andean condor
- Lesser rhea
- Patagonian canastero
We can expect to see a unique range of mammals, from the hare-like mara amongst the grasslands of the Valdes Peninsula to the majestic southern right whale.
- Southern right whale
- Southern sealion
- Blue whale
Diverse vegetation from the flowering cacti of Valdes to stunning mountain vegetation and flowers, including the dog orchid and the Chilean firebush, of the Perito Moreno Glacier.
By contrast, the Iguazi Falls extension trip takes us into subtropical forest.
Patagonia is a wild and rugged country. Our journey begins in the windswept deserts of the Valdes Peninsula before heading south into the Andes with jagged peaks and awe-inspiring glaciers. The Iguazu Falls extension takes us into tropical forests and spectacular waterfalls.
Our walks will be mostly easy, at Iguazu Falls there are steps down with handrails, and are taken at a slow pace, covering no more than 4.8 kilometres a day. A few trails can be rocky and uneven places.
Our itinerary includes two boat trips, one lasts two hours Valdes, in a small boat, which the whales allow remarkably close. The second, in a large, comfortable boat with picture windows and open decks, lasts six hours in Los Glaciares National Park.
Photographic opportunities on this trip are good to excellent, especially seabirds, shorebirds, sea mammals and the diverse Californian scenery.
Price includes return scheduled flights London - Buenos Aires – London. and domestic flights between Buenos Aires, Trelew and Calafate.
Additional return flights Buenos Aires - Iguazú - Buenos Aires are included in the extension price.