- Fly from London to Keflavik. If time permits we will do some seawatching on the way to our guesthouse in Hveragerði, located on the flanks of the mid-Atlantic Ridge in Southern Iceland.
- Accommodation: Hveragerði, 1-night including dinner and breakfast.
- This morning we take the ferry to the island of Heimaey in the Westman Islands, an archipelago of volcanic islands lying off the south coast of Iceland . The following day we spend a full day on the Westman Islands with many opportunities for close encounters with puffins and other seabirds of these magnificent islands. There’s also the chance to take a boat trip around the islands (optional, cost around £35, payable locally).
- Accommodation: Westman Islands, 2-nights on full board basis.
- Today is a travelling day as we catch the morning ferry from Heimaey for the half hour crossing to the mainland. Our route, with lots of birding and botanising stops on the way, takes us past the hot springs and geysers of Geysir, the magnificent falls of Gullfoss, the rift valley and historical sites of Þingvellir, the splendid fjord at Hvalfjörður and then across the wonderful countryside of West Iceland crossing the base of the Snæfellsnes peninsula to Stykkishólmur on its northern coast where we will spend the night.
- Accommodation: Stykkishólmur, 1-night on full board basis.
- We have a wonderful day of exploration today, starting when we leave the small harbour at Stykkishólmur to cruise across the calm waters of Breiðafjörður. We will spend some time on the lovely island of Flatley before continuing across the fjord to Brjánslaekur. From here we continue our journey by road, driving to Breidavik for a two night stay.
- Accommodation: Breidavik, 2-nights on full board basis.
- A leisurely drive takes us to the spectacular bird cliffs of Látrabjarg, one of the special places of Iceland. The soaring cliffs are home to thousands of breeding auks and kittiwakes, whilst the grass sward on top is packed with nesting puffins.
- Journeying south to Reykjavik we once again cross the Breiðafjörður by ferry to reach Stykkisholmur, before continuing by road to Iceland’s capital. Time permitting we will travel via the coastal region of Myrar Swamp between Snæfellsnes and Borgarnes.
- Accommodation: Reykjavík, 1-night on full board basis.
- There’s time for a quick tour of Iceland’s capital, Reykjavík and a farewell encounter with the many puffins offshore before your return flight leaves in the late afternoon arriving London in the evening.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
We stay in hotels/guesthouses with all rooms en suite.
All main meals are included. Breakfast and dinner are taken in the hotel/guesthouse and we have picnic lunches.
Our trip is timed to give us the best possible sightings of puffins as well as other seabirds of the north Atlantic. Wherever we travel on our trip Iceland’s wonderful breeding waders will accompany us.
- Atlantic puffin
- Harlequin duck
- White-tailed eagle
From the Westerman Islands we will keep an eye open for cetaceans offshore.
- Minke whale
- White-beaked dolphin
Our trip takes place at an excellent time for botanists who will delight in the colourful carpet of arctic and alpine flowers that thrive here.
Iceland’s dynamic geology, remarkable landscapes and magnificent fjords give rise to fascinating and beautiful scenery.
We walk no more than five kilometres, in total, on any one day, and the maximum distance walked on a single walk is slightly over three kilometres.
The terrain is mostly level, but may be rough underfoot with sharp lave, and we recommend stout walking boots.
The return ferry trip to the Westman Islands is included. Whilst on the islands there is an option to take a boat trip around the islands, payable locally.
Also included is our cruise across Breiðafjörður to the island of Flatey and onto Brjánslækur.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Keflavik – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, or 4-wheel drive vehicle, driven by the leader.