- Fly from London to Budapest and drive eastwards to the Hortobágy.
- Overnight Hortobágy, 4-nights on full board basis.
- The Hortobágy in autumn is Europe’s main eastern flyway for cranes. At their peak there may be no fewer than 60,000 of these magnificent birds in the area. As well as the incredible spectacle of the cranes, thousands of migrating geese and other wildfowl pour through the park.
- Leaving the Hortobágy we drive to Debrecen Woods, some of the oldest oak woodland in the area. In the afternoon we drive to the edge of the Zemplén Hills, close to the Slovakian border, where a range of raptors and other specialities, including owls and woodpeckers, can be relatively easily seen at this time of year.
- Accommodation: Zemplén Hills, 3-nights on full board basis.
Day 8 Drive back to Budapest and fly back to the UK
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
On this tour we spend four nights Hortobágy and three nights in Zemplen Hills, staying in good hotels with all rooms en suite.
All main meals are included in the price. For lunches we visit local restaurants or take picnics in the forest.
One of Europe's largest national parks, the Hortobágy offers some of Europe's most exciting birdwatching, particularly in the autumn. This is the main eastern flyaway for cranes in Europe when, at their peak, there may be 60,000 of these birds in the area.
- White-fronted geese
- Great bustards
- Saker falcon
- White-backed woodpecker
Resident birds are no less exciting, and the Zemplen Hills are home to no less than twelve species of raptor and a superb collection of woodpeckers.
Our tour takes us to an ancient floodplain, containing not only steppe grasslands, but also a chain of internationally important wetlands. We also visit the forest-clad Zemplen Hills.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Budapest – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.