- Fly from London to Banjul, where we transfer to our hotel.
- Accommodation: Senegambia Beach Hotel, 5-nights on full board basis.
- The first excursions of the tour will include the famous Abuko forest reserve, home to spectacular birds like the startlingly coloured violet, and guinea turacos. We also visit the north of the peninsula to wetlands packed with birds, and further south to pools near the Senegal border.
- From the North Bank we journey north into Senegal and onto Keur Saloum, a huge area of mangroves, freshwater pools and savannah where our accommodation awaits, a lodge overlooking a large creek and its associated mangrove swamp.
- Accommodation: Lodge at Saloum Delta, 2-nights on full board basis.
- Today we journey inland, via the excellent Kaur wetlands. From here on, and on the drive up to Bassé, we are most likely to spot one of the area’s stars – the gloriously patterned Egyptian plover. We may also see carmine, and red-throated bee-eaters.
- Accommodation: Baobolong Camp, Georgetown, 3-nights on full board basis.
- The experience of staying at the unique and colourful Tendaba Camp is quite unforgettable. Our stay here includes a trip across the Gambia River up one of the fantastic wild creeks with huge mangrove trees, providing some of the best birdwatching in the Gambia.
- Accommodation Tendaba Camp, Kiang West NP, 2-nights on full board basis.
- We return to the coast, with stops for raptors and crowned cranes en-route. Next day we visit an excellent new site with the possibility of white-faced scops owl and other forest birds, before returning for a final night at the Senegambia.
- Accommodation: Hotel Senegambia, 2-nights on full board basis.
- After a relaxed final morning’s birdwatching, we head back to Banjul airport in time for our flight to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
On the coast we stay at the Senegambia Beach Hotel. This is one of the best hotels in the Gambia, set in its own large well-tended gardens, hosting an amazing variety of birds. It also has its own beach and, of course, swimming pool. It makes an excellent place for relaxing during the heat of the day and a safe place for independent early morning and evening birding. All rooms have private facilities and air conditioning.
All main meals are included.
The Gambia is a wonderful introduction to African birdwatching and on our tour we will see myriad species. Almost upon arrival we see red-billed, and grey hornbills, Senegal coucal, beautiful sunbird, hooded vulture and many, many more. In Senegal we look for the stunning Egyptian plover.
- Yellow-crowned gonolek
- Violet tiracos
- Goliath heron
- Verreaux’s eagle owl
In the wetlands to the north of the peninsula we may see up to fourteen species of heron, including the small black heron.
Our tour is all about the birds, but we still keep an eye on the animal life of the area.
- Green monkey
- Western red colobus
- Red patas monkey
- Guinea baboon
Our tour take us through a variety of habitats and scenery, estuary, mangrove swamp, riverine forest and marshland, to the edge of the West African savannah forest.
On this tour we take a number of boat trips including one from Keur Saloum in the evening to a spectacular heron roost, and one across the Gambia River into wild creeks amongst mangrove trees.
Short walks of just over three kilometres over relatively flat terrain. Walking shoes or boots are recommended, to protect you from thorns.
Price includes return charter flights London – Banjul – London.
There is an option to upgrade to premium class, with extra leg-room (please enquire for cost).
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.