- Fly from London to Vienna then transfer to our hotel, just over an hour’s drive. We should arrive in time to enjoy some local birding in the late afternoon.
- Accommodation: Illmitz, 7-nights on full board basis.
- Each day we will be choosing from a fine array of habitats to visit, dependant upon local conditions prevailing at the time. Spring and autumn is a delightful time to visit Lake Neusiedl. Serin and black redstart are garden birds here and white storks still build their bulky stick nests on village rooftops.
- After enjoying a final morning birdwatching around Lake Neusiedl, we return to Vienna and catch our afternoon flight back to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
Our hotel in the sleepy town of Illmitz, right on the edge of the Seewinkel wetlands, is run by a family that understands birdwatchers and are interested in birding and wildlife themselves.
All rooms have been recently renovated to a high standard with en suite bathrooms.
The hotel has a birding library and a viewing platform where we can watch the white storks on their nest on top of the roof of the local bank. Syrian woodpecker have nested in the ‘hof’ or yard in spring, and if the weather’s kind, we can take breakfast or dinner there.
All meals are included.
Breakfasts and dinners taken at the hotel. Lunches are a mix of picnics and leisurely sit-down meals taken at one of the region’s traditional restaurants or Gasthofs.
Spring and autumn visits to Lake Neusiedl are always a delight. Serin and black redstart are garden birds here and white Storks still build their bulky stick nests on village rooftops.
- Syrian woodpecker
- Golden oriole
- Red-backed shrike
Most of central Europe’s long list of special birds occur too, busy nesting in May and with noisy families in tow by September.
The countryside around the lake itself is flat and the going easy, with short walks (1-3 miles). Expect a few short uphill stretches along good trails in the surrounding hills and mountains, all taken slowly.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Vienna – London
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.