- Fly from London to Larnaca and travel across the island towards Paphos to our hotel.
- Accommodation: Near Paphos, 7-nights on full board basis.
- We have chosen to be based in one strategically placed hotel for the whole week to make this a most relaxed tour, with plenty of time spent on gentle walks amidst the flowers and birds of this compelling island.
- In our experience, Cyprus provides some of the most exciting birdwatching to be found in Europe. Visible migration can be dramatic, with flocks of herons of six species going by over the sea.
- Among the spring-plumaged migrant birds we may see are red-throated and tawny pipits, crested and short-toed larks, and several wheatear species including isabelline, northern, eastern black-eared and the endemic Cyprus wheatear. We might also see showy Cretzschmar's buntings or overnight falls of several races of yellow wagtail including the lovely black-headed. The olives, fig trees and scrub can host eastern Bonelli’s, eastern olivaceous, orphean and Rüppell's warblers, wryneck and perhaps pied, collared and semi-collared flycatchers.
- The areas around Paphos headland will be a blaze of colour at this time of year; carpeted by spring flowers such as yellow crown daisies and scarlet poppies and, in the late afternoon sunshine, the blue of the Barbary nut iris.
- We drive back to Larnaca, with some time to look at the salt lakes, usually providing good views of greater flamingo, and with other possibilities including slender-billed, and little gulls and waders, including black-winged stilt and Kentish plover, before catching our flight home to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
Our accommodation for this tour is at a good quality hotel on the coast near Paphos. All rooms are ensuite.
All main meals are included in the price.
On ‘Aphrodite’s Island’ we encounter some of the best bird migration anywhere in the Mediterranean with flocks of heron, composed of six species, and parties of common, pallid, and Alpine swift overhead. We will look for two unique species – Cyprus warbler and Cyprus wheatear.
- Black francolins
- Great spotted cuckoo
- Red-rumped swallow
- Short-toed treecreeper
Cyprus has around thirty possible species of orchids and several endemic flowers, and the area around Paphos headland will be a blaze of colour at this time of year.
- Crown daisy
- Barbary nut iris
- Cyprus gladiolus
- Cyprus crocus
Walks are gentle and short over easy terrain, except for the walk on the first full day around Paphos headland, which is just under five kilometres at an easy pace. In the Troodos Mountains our walks will mostly be along level trails.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Larnaca – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, with local driver.