- Fly from London to Bastia and transfer to Corte, a one and a half hour drive away. Accommodation is in a small, family run hotel ideally situated to some of the best mountain habitats.
- Accommodation: Corte, 4-nights on full board basis.
Our first few days on this most rugged of islands will be spent exploring Restonica Gorge and other river-carved valleys and gorges. In the mountains we will look for the endemic Corsican nuthatch, and other prized species such as Corsican citril finch (now designated a separate species) and lammergeier. The flora here includes many species endemic to Corsica, such as the Corsican hellebore and the pink butterfly orchid.
- On day 5 we travel to our second base, taking in some coastal wetands on the way. On the northeast coast is the Etang de Biguglia, Corsica’s premier wetland site. This coastal lagoon has good numbers of reed, Cetti’s and fan-tailed warblers. Other birds we should see in this area include egrets and herons, grebes, marsh harriers, bee-eaters and stone curlew.
- We will also drive to Cap Corse, the very northern tip of the island, and one of the best migration watch points in the Western Mediterranean, as well as interesting migrants we will also search for the resident marmora’s warbler.
- Accommodation: Near Bastia, 3-nights on full-board basis.
Day 8 Transfer to Bastia, fly to the UK
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
- 2nd leader subject to minimum numbers
We stay in good quality hotels with all rooms en suite.
All main meals are included.
Our visit is specially timed to maximise the variety of birds we should encounter. Our tour begins in the mountains where we should see endemics such as Corsican nuthatch, and also Lammergeier. Once we descend to the coast we should encounter many migrant species.
- Audouin’s gull
- Corsican citril finch
- Blue rock thrush
- Honey buzzard
Corsica’s isolation from mainland Europe has resulted in a high incidence of endemics. Flowers can be stunning at this time of year, and include over fifteen species of orchids.
- Spring sowbread
- Corsican hellebore
- Corsican crocus
- Pink butterfly orchid
Corsica is a breathtakingly beautiful island with dramatic scenery, from snow-capped mountain peaks, gorges carved by crystal clear rushing rivers, coastal lagoons and marshes, and the clear blue waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Gentle walks over easy to moderate terrain.
Our first few days in the mountains, we explore higher elevations, but the minibus takes the strain of taking us to the tops of the valleys.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Bastia – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.