- Fly from London to Stockholm (Arlanda) where we transfer directly to Salbohed. In the early evening we will visit a forest clearing, which has become a regular hunting ground of great grey owls.
- Accommodation: Salbohed, 3-nights on full board basis.
- After breakfast we head out for another excellent forest where hazel grouse can be found, along with nutcracker and capercaillie. Black woodpeckers may also be seen. This is also prime woodpecker country, and we will head out early to spot grey-headed, black, and three-toed woodpeckers.
- In the evening we will go in search of pygmy owl, which may appear just after sundown to give its short whistling call from the top of a spruce tree at the forest’s edge, and also witness the ringing of Tengmalm’s owl, breeding in nestboxes. There is really no other way to get really close views and to photograph these charming little, highly nocturnal owls.
- Today we head out early to a superb area of forest and lakes, where we hope to see some of Sweden’s choicest specialities, including the ‘monarch of the woods’’ – the capercaillie. Black grouse can also be found, and we hope to see them on a lek. To add to the bounty, cranes breed in the area and the forests should be resounding to their atmospheric calls.
- We head back to Stockholm airport for our flight to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
We stay at a comfortable country guesthouse, All rooms are en suite.
All meals are included.
Our short tour of central Sweden brings us a fascinating selection of species, breeding waders, cranes and divers, plus a wonderful collection of owls – pygmy, Tengmalm’s, great grey, and eagle owls. This is probably the best place in Europe to see and photograph the great grey owl, and we will visit their hunting grounds where they appear in scenic meadows – in good light, and seemingly unaware of human presence.
Central Sweden’s forests are an outpost of the great belt of taiga forest that stretches between the arctic tundra and temperate forests of Eurasia.
One of the highlights of the tour a chance to accompany an Ural owl ringing excursion, offering very special photographic opportunities.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Stockholm – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.