- Fly from London to Marseille, arriving with plenty of time for some afternoon birdwatching before continuing onto your hotel. Your base for this five-night tour is a hotel in Saint-Martin de Crau, situated near Arles, which gives easy access to the stony plains of La Crau, the wetlands of the Camargue and also the hills of the Chaine des Alpilles – the areas where most of this trip's birding will take place.
- Accommodation: Saint-Martin de Crau, 5-nights on full board basis.
- Over the next few days we will visit the limestone hills of Les Alpilles until we spot the crimson-winged butterfly-like flight of the wallcreeper, which overwinters here. We will have time to explore the attractive town of Les Baux and could even see wallcreepers on the house walls here too.
- Out on the steppe-like habitat of La Crau, little bustards also spend the winter – in the past we have seen more than 150 in one flock alone.
- But it will be the Camargue itself that produces views of vast numbers of birds. Wildfowl will be counted in thousands with Teal as the main species.
Day 6 Drive to Marseille, fly back to the UK
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
- Note: Second leader is subject to minimum numbers
Our base for this tour is a comfortable hotel near Arles, between the former estuary of the Durrance River and the wetlands of the Camargue, making access to either very easy. Our hotel offers free WiFi internet connection.
All main meals are included, and will be the usual style of continental breakfast, picnic lunches and lovely Provençal evening meals.
Our tour takes us to one of the world’s great river deltas, at a time when tens of thousands of birds are present. Masses of wildfowl, waders and birds of prey haunt the wetlands, while high alpine species congregate in the surrounding drier countryside and we will especially be hoping to see wallcreeper.
- Alpine accentor
- Greater flamingo
- White stork
- Pin-tailed sandgrouse
We spend most of our time amongst the wetlands of the Camargue, where we will see huge numbers of birds. We also visit the steppe-like habitat of La Crau, home to over-wintering little bustards.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Marseille – London.
Ground transportation is by minibus with driver.