- On arrival in Innsbruck, we transfer to our hotel at Fisser Höfe (a 90-kilometre drive taking approximately 1½ hours). After checking in, there will be a welcome presentation from the tutors and an introduction to the week’s itinerary.
- Accommodation: Wiesenheim Familien Hotel, 7-nights on full board basis.
- The day-to-day schedule and activities remain flexible to take account of changeable local conditions. The following examples give you a flavour of what might be on offer at various times throughout the week:
- In the early morning, you may find yourself using the gorgeous early morning light to photograph sunrise over the mountain tops, marmots at the entrance to their burrow, or meadow flowers and butterflies when they are often covered in dewdrops.
- Later in the day, when the sun is high, you may find yourself visiting the Kaunertal Naturpark to photograph alpine plants such as alpenrose in a dramatic mountain landscape – which includes a glacier; using cable car to gain access to alpine plants that grow at high altitudes, such as alpine snowbell (Soldanella pursilla) and mountain houseleek (Sempervivum montanum), that are specially adapted to high altitude; learning how to photograph orchids such as the burnt orchid (Neotinea ustulata); developing your macro work in the pine forests; or learning field studio techniques to produce white background images of flowers and insects.
- The afternoon or evening are perfect for activities such as seeking out resting butterflies in the alpine meadows; photographing flower meadows in dramatic evening light; or trapping moths in order to photograph them.
- Photographic highlights include: alpine meadows in full bloom; orchids and other plants including sundews; a huge array of butterflies and other insects; marmots beside their burrows; dramatic mountain landscapes.
- Typical techniques covered during the week include: the basics of macro photography; optimising natural light with reflectors and diffusers; working with off-camera flash; creating creative macro compositions; creating white background images with a mobile field studio; digital workflow for macro photography with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
Day 8 Transfer to Innsbruck airport
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
A comfortable family-run hotel. All rooms are doubles with en suite bathroom.
All meals are included.
Most walks are short and graded easy to moderate, however there is an option for longer walks to more distant locations for those who wish.
Locations are within one hour’s drive of the hotel. All photography is done on foot.
Macro and wide-angle work with plants, insects and natural abstracts, including using off-camera flash. Some telephoto work and landscape photography and filters.
Conditions may vary from warm sunshine to light wintery showers at higher altitudes.
International flights to/from Innsbruck are not included in the price of the tour.