- Fly from London to Vienna then transfer to our hotel, just over an hour’s drive. We should arrive in time to enjoy some local birding in the late afternoon.
- Accommodation: Illmitz, 7-nights on full board basis.
- Each day we will be able to choose from a fine array of habitats to visit, dependent upon local conditions prevailing at the time. Summer is an interesting time to visit the region, as we will get to observe the resident birdlife of the wetlands along with post-breeding groups from the spring and the start of the early autumn migrant arrivals, including waders and passerines that visit Lake Neusiedl.
- Time permitting, we will have a final morning of birdwatching around Lake Neusiedl, before we return to Vienna in time to catch our flight to London.
All prices are per person and include:
- Services of the naturalist leader
- All meals
- Guided activities
Our hotel in the sleepy town of Illmitz, right on the edge of the Seewinkel wetlands, is run by a family that understands birdwatchers and are interested in birding and wildlife themselves.
All rooms have been recently renovated to a high standard with en suite bathrooms.
The hotel has a birding library and a viewing platform where we can watch the white storks on their nest on top of the roof of the local bank. Syrian woodpecker have nested in the ‘hof’ or yard in spring, and if the weather’s kind, we can take breakfast or dinner there.
All meals are included.
Breakfasts and dinners taken at the hotel. Lunches are a mix of picnics and leisurely sit-down meals taken at one of the region’s traditional restaurants or Gasthofs.
Serin and black redstart are garden birds here, and on the wetlands we hope to see one of the rarest residents of Lake Neusiedl – the great bustard. Most of central Europe’s long list of special birds occur here too, with noisy families in tow after the spring breeding season.
- Syrian woodpecker
- Golden oriole
- Red-backed shrike
The countryside around the lake itself is flat and the going easy, with short walks (1-3 miles). Expect a few short uphill stretches along good trails in the surrounding hills and mountains, all taken slowly.
Price includes return scheduled flights London – Vienna – London
Ground transportation is by minibus, with driver.